Monday, August 17, 2015

Expecting to be Surprised Again

Equanimity Through Thankfulness

Well, Hello, after an extended absence from Blogland.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Life's best, and worst, moments often catch me by complete surprise.

We all spend some portion of our lives planning our lives; some of us much more than others. I fall somewhere right in the middle between complete tree-hugging carefreeness, and conservative, goal-oriented, path-to-security mindedness. I guess you could say I like surprises, as long as I can be somewhat prepared for them.

But how do you prepare for and maintain equanimity through those moments or seasons that rise up and engulf you with complete joy, or utter despair? 

I suppose it is becoming a theme in many of these posts, but the longer I am allowed to live this earthly life, the more profoundly I am learning to let thankfulness squelch my fears and frustrations, and punctuate every  happiness. Thankfulness keeps me honest, teaches patience, and helps me give out and give back even when it feels like I have nothing to give.

This month is passing so quickly the feeling cannot be put into words. Even more so than the rest of 2015 so far, August is a blur. The past week was a blend of hard work, time with the Love of my Life, family, relaxation, chaos and calm that left my everything the best kind of exhausted.

And now a new week's begun, promising a very similar progression as we prepare for our church's annual summer picnic service here at the farm, followed by next week's celebration of the marriage of our oldest son.

After a long week made of long days working on organizing, setting up or stowing away more neatly for the time being the dairy equipment that filled the 26 foot truck we rented in late May to drive back in from New York, cleaning up the yard, putting up veggies from the garden, making ice cream, and keeping up with "normal" everyday chores, we were rewarded with a fabulous weekend shared with family.


Friday brought the surprise of the first set of campers arriving at the farm, cousins whom we've never really had the chance to get to know very well before. Friday evening the weather surprised us and created new memories when our campers had to move their camping experience to our couch to escape the high winds, rain, and thunder and lightening that lingered for much of the night.

Saturday more out of town family arrived, and filled all three spare beds we have to offer in the Stone Cottage. Saturday evening we impatiently waited for the humid high heat of the day to ease so that we could enjoy gathering around the bonfire with even more family.
Then Sunday, the Big Day, when 80+ family members arrived at the farm to celebrate the 78th annual reunion of my Dad's side of the family.

And now Monday, already over half over, unfolds in extreme quiet.

A wind chime sings a random song on the side porch, and empty picnic tables and chairs silently await their next occupants. Tablecloths gathered up after guests departed last night wait in a neat heap to be washed and dried before being employed in the next event this coming Sunday. The herd grazes contentedly, having received ample cuddles and treats from the weekend's visitors who were enamored with their adorableness. And our two big dogs make one big extended nap of the entire day so far, catching up on rest after being faithful companions through a weekend of early mornings and late nights filled with many more people and thrown-off schedules than they are used to being at the farm.

I tarry in idleness, content to just be today, and let the events that led to today sink in to my tired bones. Gratefulness has it's way with me, and colors the memory of each moment. Blessings abound and Grace surrounds, and I find myself ready to expect more surprises, and desperate to share this Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment