Wednesday, July 1, 2015

"Early Retirement" Sure is a Lot of Work

A short confession of a tired farm girl


I'm not sure how it's possible that I could be getting less done now than I ever did while I was still working full time off the farm prior to March 13 this year, but today it sure feels like that's the case. I look around at all that is unfinished or unstarted, and honestly just want to cry, or shout.

I truly am giving it my best effort - keeping a positive attitude, posting all things happy and sweet, and reminding myself not to stress, The List will still be there tomorrow if I don't get everything crossed off today.

But some days are simply harder than others, and when you're trying to carry the weight of the whole farm on your shoulders unnecessarily, it gets heavy.

And of course, being an easily distracted creative free spirit does not always lend itself to a keen ability to focus, at least for long on any one - ooooh! Was that a hummingbird?!

So, when I look at  it all --

  • all the weeds that still need pulling in the garden, flowerbeds and herb garden
  • the remaining stalls that still need cleaning
  • the dairy and creamery that still need putting-together
  • the soap yet to be made and marketed and sold
  • the messages (email, Facebook farm page, phone, text) that still need answering
  • the house that needs cleaning and laundry done
  • hay that needs cutting and raking and baling and storing
  • ...
-- on top of twice daily milking and tending to over 20 goats, 32 laying hens and 28 meat birds, while also keeping on top of finances and our (albeit limited) summer social life, it all feels a tad overwhelming.

(And so I think I'll start a blog in my spare time.)

...BUT, didn't you do all that before when you both worked full time off the farm? What's the big deal now, isn't it that much easier now that you're retired?

Actually, we do have numerous individuals who have been volunteering their time and labor to help with various tasks around the farm, and despite still working full time off-farm, my amazingly awesome husband still works his tail off around here, too.

So, days like today when it all seems to be weighing down on me, all I know to say is: This "Early Retirement" so many keep saying I've taken sure is a lot of Work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Folks, Respect your local farmers -- they are working their tales off, and yes, they know the hay still needs cutting, and that they have dirt under their fingernails.

2 comments:

  1. I did warn you. *big grin*

    Yes, there is so much more to do, but also look at what you have accomplished. Don't focus on what still needs to be done. Don't focus on the jobs that are not finished but remind yourself of the progress you have made on so many things, even there is still work to be done. Prioritise, and break things down in to smaller chunks, then just look at one chunk at a time. You can't move a whole mountain in one push, but you can move an awful lot of it if you just pick up the first rock you see and move that.

    PhoenixDown Farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'll just keep moving one rock at a time. :-)

      (and, I knew it was you at "*big grin*")

      Delete