Friday, July 17, 2015

Waking Up in Your Dreams

How Did We Get Here so Fast?

Time is sneaky, and has a way of moving so silently and swiftly as to leave us wondering how today could possibly be already. 

In the new dawn of this today, we splash across a farm yard being washed clean by a soft, steady rain, and find our old goat still determinedly fighting the odds  that would all try to intimidate her and us. She fights us a little as we administer her morning dose of vitamins, and we are glad for her spunk. And as we embark on the day's work, we stop and wonder at how today - Friday - took the lead over the rest of the week so quickly, as we realize we are already mid-month again. 
I make an effort at tidiness in the Stone Cottage, and light scented candles, as the sun rises behind the rain clouds and reveals the vibrant life of yard and field gladly soaking in every drop of life-giving rain. And I delay the morning's barn chores (perhaps a little too long) as the dishwasher hums, and in anticipation of a visit later today from a friend who became part of our family when I was just a girl, my mind entertains memory upon memory in flashes of what seem like complete other lifetimes they feel so long ago.


And as snapshots of days past shape my morning's pondering, I am once again - as happens quite often lately - amazed at the Today in which I find myself, and all the moments that have led me straight to now. 


Right now seemed to take a long time to get here when we were traveling through yesterday, and yet, all at once, here we are - right where we worked so hard to be. We have woken up and found ourselves in living in our dreams, that along with all those seemingly distant tomorrows, have somehow found a way against the odds to become Today.

Glancing at the clock, it reminds me that even as I reflect upon it, time is sneaking again, and I gather morning chore supplies and slip on muck boots, moving wide awake with gratitude into the next scene of this dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment